Thursday, March 26, 2009

Casual Suit?

More and more companies are going casual as far as attire goes, so why do we still need to dress up in suits to interview? The other day I had an interview with a company to go unnamed and the receptionist was wearing jeans and an over-sized sweater, he had that Seth Rogan look going from Knocked Up. Then I met 2 ladies that were interviewing me, one was in a dress the other in black pants on a white t-shirt. The other 2 men that I happened to see in the office were wearing jeans and button-down shirts. So why ask me to come in a suit instead of just business attire (nice dress pants and a button-down shirt) when the rest of the employees are so casual? I can understand if the job would require me to wear a suit everyday, but this clearly wasn't the case. I mean when you interview me, aren't you supposed to be looking at my resume and my experience, not what I'm wearing? I wouldn't show up in jeans to interview, but honestly who is comfortable wearing a suit to begin with? Its constricting and you feel more stressed wearing that than normal business clothes.

4 comments:

  1. Nothing to say....totally agree! Makes no sense! I can see if you are interviewing to work in a bank or a car salesman but when the others are dressed casual, they should ask you to be casual! It actually is better for them because it gives you a chance to feel out the work environment! Good luck with the search!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uh, definitely agree! I will always wear scrubs while I am a dental hygienist! Why can't I interview in them?

    ReplyDelete
  3. why do politicians wear a flag pin on their lapel when we know that they're patriotic? if one wears a pin does that mean that he is more than the other? same issue - you dont need to wear a pin to show how patriotic you are - you just do because it gives you that edge in politics.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're generally not required to wear a suit for interviews. If you're an all-star, you can wear shorts and t-shirts to an interview (think Warren Buffett interviewing at Goldman Sachs). If every interviewee wore business casual, I am pretty sure that the company wouldn't mind. But if just one comes in a suit, I think that casts a negative shadow on those wearing the casual attire.

    It is good to stand out in an interview, but only for the right reasons Ms. Kalaria.

    ReplyDelete